The Wilderness Road is an epic saga about the early migration and settlement of America. As the colonies were thriving along the east coast in the late 1600s, settlement west of the Appalachian Mountains remained a challenge for early explorers. Today’s travelers along the road will discover historic downtowns where museum homes, artisan enclaves and cultural pearls lay strung along a scenic route through the valley and into the mountains of western Virginia.
The Village Artisans of Port Republic, LLC is holding its Debut Art Show from April 28th through May 1st in the newly renovated Port Republic Town Hall.
Aug 19, 2015 at the Rockingham County Fair . . .
The legacy began some 41 years ago in Jacksonville, Florida, and halted for a decade by the 1977 plane crash that killed three band members, including Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines. Since then, the band tragically lost Allen Collins, Leon Wilkeson and Huey Thomasson, yet Lynyrd Skynyrd rocks on with original member Gary Rossington joined by Johnny Van Zant, Rickey Medlock, Mark “Sparky” Matejka, Michael Cartellone, Johnny Colt, Peter Keys, Dale Krantz Rossington and Carol Chase. (more…)
We’re back with more news, views and reviews for Harrisonburg, and surrounding areas in the central Shenandoah Valley . . . These in our news department last week :
- Virginia Health Services to receive Affordable Care Act grant
- Students and city residents discuss community issues
- Increased Stormwater Fee Proposed in Harrisonburg
- Improvements Continuing In Downtown Harrisonburg
- Tracing History: Uncovering Urban Renewal
- Maurertown has perfect water for bourbon
- Public Weighs in On Hotel Madison
- City hall construction underway
- Promoting healthy communities
We’re back with more news, views and reviews for Harrisonburg, and surrounding areas in the central Shenandoah Valley . . . what’s up :
- JMU Nation wants FBS: Whether it makes sense or not
- The Perfect Three-Day Road Trip Through Virginia
- Court in Va. examines death row isolation policy
- Staunton, Augusta County study backyard chickens
- Harrisonburg considers buying founder’s home
Don’t forget to send in your valley news, views and reviews!
The Augusta County Library system is hosting a summer reading program for children ages birth to 18 now through July 31. The program includes prizes for hours read and a series of weekly programs with the theme Paws to Read. The program’s mascot is Rocket, the dog featured in the award winning and bestselling children’s books by Tad Hills.
Boenel Records recording artists, Too Human with Ellen Schwartz and Roger Bruno, will return to WTA’s Gateway on Saturday, March 15 at 8:00pm. The trio plays extensively across the United States and will share their jazz repertory at the Wayne Theatre Alliance’s Gateway at 329 West Main in Downtown Waynesboro.
Americana musicians : the Shenandoah Valley Music Festival is looking for you. The Festival is seeking applications from Americana players and bands to participate in the fourth annual Barrels, Barbecue and Bands event at Cave Ridge Vineyard in Mount Jackson. (more…)