The Most Coveted Electronic Gadgets If you’re still in the dark as to what gift to give your nearest and dearest this Christmas, electronic gadgets and gizmos are sure to do the trick! Tech expert Karl Volkman shares his insight on the most coveted electronics on the market this holiday season: (more…)
A U.S. Navy Sailor from Stanardsville, Virginia, assigned to Navy Band Northeast in Newport, Rhode Island was recently selected as the band’s Junior Sailor of the Year for fiscal year 2014.
Musician 2nd Class Trevor Shifflett, a Stanardsville, Virginia native and 2008 graduate of William Monroe High School, joined the Navy as a guitarist in August of 2008. In addition to performing on guitar with Navy Band Northeast’s jazz combo and popular music group, Rhode Island Sound, MU2 Shifflett performs as a percussionist with the band’s Ceremonial Band and Pops Ensemble. Shifflett is also the Unit Leader of Rhode Island Sound and serves also as Navy Band Northeast’s Information Systems Security Officer.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia released a letter it sent to members of the Virginia State Crime Commission recommending against any legislation to criminalize teenage sexting. Any such legislation would raise serious constitutional concerns and also result in feeding many more Virginia teens into the school-to-prison pipeline. (more…)
We’re back with more news, views and reviews for Harrisonburg, and surrounding areas in the central Shenandoah Valley . . . These in our news department last week :
- Virginia Health Services to receive Affordable Care Act grant
- Students and city residents discuss community issues
- Increased Stormwater Fee Proposed in Harrisonburg
- Improvements Continuing In Downtown Harrisonburg
- Tracing History: Uncovering Urban Renewal
- Maurertown has perfect water for bourbon
- Public Weighs in On Hotel Madison
- City hall construction underway
- Promoting healthy communities
We’re back with more news, views and reviews for Harrisonburg, and surrounding areas in the central Shenandoah Valley . . . what’s up :
- JMU Nation wants FBS: Whether it makes sense or not
- The Perfect Three-Day Road Trip Through Virginia
- Court in Va. examines death row isolation policy
- Staunton, Augusta County study backyard chickens
- Harrisonburg considers buying founder’s home
Don’t forget to send in your valley news, views and reviews!
Here we are entering the holiday season with Halloween behind us and Thanksgiving on its way in . . . here are just a few notable headlines from the past couple of weeks :
* Virginia Opens Kids In Parks Track Trail, Shenandoah National Park
* JMU Student Charged With Posting Online Threat
* Halloween Candy Buy Back in Harrisonburg
* Valley Economic Development Leader Dies
* Fishing Douthat Lake
Don’t forget to send in your valley news, views and reviews! (more…)
Explore More Discovery Museumand Arts Council of the Valley are teaming up to present award-winning children’s performer Daria Marmaluk-Hajioannou on Saturday, November 8.
Here we go again with a selection of items about the Valley in the past month:
* New Class in Shenandoah Valley Helps Prepare Homeowners For Fires
* BLUE & GRAY: Union troops regain ground lost in surprise attack
* Shenandoah Valley educator named Va. teacher of the year
* Fields of Gold Agritourism Program receives USDA grant
* Shenandoah Fall Foliage Bike Festival in Staunton
* Shenandoah park holiday lighting to continue
* Stargazing in Shenandoah Valley
* Foliage Report: Oct. 16
and more . . .
There is a rising cry for support coming from the Shenandoah Valley, and literally all counties from West Virginia to Portsmouth. Dominion Power has quietly been posturing to launch a pipeline across West Virginia and through this part of the valley. There’s a petition to get more information but Dominion is tight lipped until permits are issued. Local residents want answers:
[_] SIGN NOW – Dominion Pipeline: Request a Public Meeting
[_] Would you support Dominion’s natural gas pipeline in Augusta County?
[_] More Details/Proposed Route of Dominion Marcellus to NC Pipeline
[_] Dominion Proposes Natural Gas Pipeline Across Shenandoah Mountain
[_] Judge: Bluegrass Pipeline builders cannot use eminent domain
[_] Seeking legal advice in matters of eminent domain in the U.S.
[_] Pipeline would impact Augusta County, national forest
[_] Augusta County Meeting on Dominion Pipeline June 25
[_] Condemnation Issues Under the Natural Gas Act
[_] Augusta Co. eyes gas line project
[_] Pipeline Info For Landowners
[*] and more . . . (more…)